Chicken Casserole With Rice "Milanaise"
It's one of our family's favourite dishes and we totally suggest it!
- 1,5kg (3.25 pounds) chicken
- 1 1/2 cup of long grain rice
- 1 large onion
- 1 pinch of thyme
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of ginger powder
- salt and pepper
- 750ml (3 cups) water
- 1 chicken bouillon (stock cube)
- 300gr/10oz grated graviera or any other similar hard yello cheese you prefer (you can use Gruyere, Dubliner etc).
For the creamy topping (Greek bechamel)
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons of margarine
- 400ml (1 2/3 cups) of milk
- 300ml (1 1/4 cups) chicken broth from the boiled chicken
- salt and pepper
Boil the chicken (in 10 cups of water) together with the onion, salt, pepper, thyme and ginger. Let it simmer for 30 minutes.When ready remove the chicken and let it cool down.
Remove the bones and the skin, cut the meat in small pieces and leave aside. Keep 300ml of broth. Cook the rice in 4 1/2 cups of water, together with the bouillon (stock cube) and the butter.
Once ready pour it in a baking pan and add the pieces of chicken on top.
For the cream
Add the the butter in a sauce pan and put in on medium heat. When the butter melts add the flour and whisk continuously. It will become a thick paste.
Add the milk slowly and then the chicken broth, salt and pepper. Stir continuously until it thickens.
Cover the chicken and rice with the cream. Add the grated cheese. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes in 200degrees Celcius/390 Fahrenheit. Then use the broiler for 5-8 minutes.
The rest of the broth can be used to make a chicken soup, by adding 2 small cups of rice some lemon juice and vegetables like carrots, or onions. Cook for about 30 minutes. This way you can have 2 dishes!