Delicious bean soup (fasolada) with spicy sausage
This dish is one of those where one portion is simply not enough! Ιt's delicious and very popular in Greece. We cook the beans with spicy sausage (Greek sausage/Horiatiko loukaniko - we can also use Italian sausages) in a pressure cooker.
This is a recipe of one of our grandmas, Dimitra Diamantidis.It's ideal for the cold winter days. Let's try it!
- 500gr/17oz white beans (prefer smaller size)
- 170gr/6oz Greek spicy sausage (Horiatiko loukaniko) or Italian sausage, cut into slices and sautee in a bit of olive oil
- 2 carrots cut in slices
- 1 cup of celery, finley chopped
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 70gr (3 tablespoons) tomato paste, diluted in one cup of water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup of olive oil (250ml)
- 750ml (3 cups) water
Cover the beans with water and leave them all night to soak. Rinse them and put them in a pot with fresh water. Add water until you cover the beans by 3-4 cm (1 inch). Cook for 15-20 minutes, to soften a bit, and discard any foam from the surface. Rinse.
Put the beans in a pressure cooker, add the tomato paste, the 750ml (3 cups) of water, the carrots, the celery, the sausage, the salt, the stock cubes and the pepper. Cook for 20 minutes. Open the cooker, add the olive oil, and continue cooking for another 10 minutes with the lid off. The bean soup is ready. Kali oreksi!
1. You can add a bit of lemon juice when serving the soup.
2. If you want your soup hot and spicy then add some chilli pepper to the ingredients.
3. Serve with olives, freshly baked bread and if you are lucky enough to find it, siglino (a rare Greek traditional salted pork with olive oil and herbs).